History of St. Scholastica Academy
One of the oldest Catholic academies for young women in Chicago, St. Scholastica Academy opened its doors in 1865. The Academy is the sponsored ministry of the Benedictine Sisters of Chicago
In 1861, three Benedictine sisters from Erie, Pennsylvania (originally from Eichstatt, Germany) answered a call to come to Chicago to educate children of German immigrants in Chicago’s St. Joseph Parish School. These three sisters were eventually joined by Benedictine sisters from St. Mary’s, Pennsylvania. In 1865, they opened the Academy (named St. Joseph’s Academy) that served as a convent and a school with space for residential students.
The Chicago Fire destroyed a great part of the city in 1871 including the Academy. This did not deter the Benedictine Sisters in their mission to educate young women in Chicago. On July 1, 1872, the newly established Benedictine Sisters of Chicago bought land at Hill and Orleans Streets and re-opened the Academy under the name of Saints Benedict and Scholastica Academy. As the Academy and their community grew, the Benedictine Sisters needed more space. They purchased land in Rogers Park and moved the Academy and their monastery there in 1906 where St. Scholastica Academy sits today.
In March, 2012 the Benedictine Sisters of Chicago announced they would close St. Scholastica Academy. A Senior Academy will remain in operation in 2012-2013 to enable 26 young women who have been previously enrolled as juniors to complete their final year of their high school education at the Academy.